Fear not – going paleo doesn’t mean giving up ice cream: This paleo ice cream is the perfect treat on a hot summer day!
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love ice cream and giving it up was probably the most daunting aspect of going paleo all those years ago. That was before I discovered coconut ice cream that is!
This recipe is very quick and easy to make and it’s quite likely that you have the ingredients all ready in your cupboard too.
Please note: This recipe is for an ice cream maker. We just use a basic one, which is inexpensive and does the trick beautifully!
- 1 large can (400ml) of organic coconut cream (the thicker the better!)**
- 2 eggs**
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract OR 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
** OR two small Ayam Coconut Cream cans (270ml) and 3 eggs
- Make sure your ice cream machine is good to go.
- Blend all ingredients.
- Cool mixture in the fridge.
- Process as per your ice cream maker instruction.
- Quite often the ice cream maker bowl needs to be frozen overnight before use – we store ours in the freezer so that it’s ready to go whenever we happen to need it.
- I find that the ice cream forms better when the mixture is thoroughly cooled down before pouring into the ice cream maker. I tend to refrigerate the mixture overnight, make the ice cream a few hours before planned serving and let the ready ice cream sit in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving, as it seems to guarantee the best consistency.
Flavoured ice cream:
We usually just make this ice cream as plain vanilla and serve is as is or with some fresh fruit/berries, or as a side for something divine like a double chocolate cake brownie like in the photo above.
However, this recipe is easy to flavour any which way you like. You can either blend some fruit with the ingredients (for example fresh mango) or you can add chunky bits in when you pour the mixture into the ice cream maker (for example dark chocolate crumbles or fresh strawberries chopped up).