A refreshing fruit smoothie with added protein is a great way to start a day when you don’t have time to cook a proper breakfast. Not only is this smoothie terribly yummy, it’s got enough protein to keep you going until lunch and is very quick and easy to prepare.
- 1/8 pineapple
- 1 passion fruit
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 dose of protein powder
- magnesium powder
- zinc powder
Peel and chop pineapple into medium-sized chunks. Half passion fruit and coop into the blender. Add in coconut milk and blend.
While blending, add supplements (in this case at least protein powder) and then add ice until desired consistency.
Pour into a glass and enjoy!
It is important to begin your day with a substantial dose of protein. The best way to do this is to eat a healthy serving of last night’s roast meat, but managing to be that organised every day can be challenging. Also, some mornings there is simply not enough time to prepare a proper breakfast.
On those mornings protein powders are an excellent back up, even though they are processed and therefore not strictly paleo. It is important to select a great quality protein powder that doesn’t contain unnecessary additives, sugars, colourants and other empty fillers. Also, many protein powders can cause a range of digestive problems, such as bloating, constipation and discomfort. Try to find a natural product that does not irritate your gut.
Magnesium powder is a great addition to a morning smoothie, especially if you are prone to muscle tension or headaches. Magnesium can help:
- Reduce stress.
- To relieve muscular aches, pains, cramps and spasms.
- To relieve leg cramps.
- In assisting cellular energy production.
- To relieve menstrual pain and cramping.
- In cardiovascular health.
- Reduce muscle tension related headaches.
Zinc can help:
- Assist the normal healthy immune system-reducing the severity and duration of colds.
- Reduce the frequency of upper respiratory tract infections in children.
- Assist management of minor wounds, cuts, abrasions and scratches.
- Help maintain healthy skin, hair and nails.