- 4 medium Bonito fillets, mashed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1/2 medium eggplant, minced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 2 zucchinis, julienned
- 1 bunch coriander leaf, minced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cm ginger knuckle, minced
- 20-30 mixed red & green Thai chillies, minced (Not to be confused with fatter red birds eye chillies that have more heat & less flavour!)
- 1-2 limes, zested
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
Fillet, skin and remove the bloodline from Bonito fillets before mushing with a chef’s knife or cleaver. Mince onion, garlic, ginger & chilli, rough cut coriander leaf and rind the limes to add to a large bowl with the mashed fish.
Julienne zucchini and carrot, mince egg plant and combine the lot with the fish, mixing by hand until thoroughly mixed.
Add raw eggs and fish sauce, then fold in almond and coconut flour until a good consistency is achieved. If the mix is too dry you can wet down using coconut cream, if too wet just add more coconut flour.
Heat up and oil a clean BBQ plate. When at temp, scoop out fish mixture on to the plate using a quarter cup measure and flattening with a spatula. Turn when golden and serve with Asian greens and a dipping sauce if you like.
Note: chilli levels are to personal preference and this recipe is a work in progress and will probably be updated with each batch we make that turns out better than the last!