Paleo Beetroot DipPosted by Tanja on Oct 7, 2012 in Paleo Recipes, Paleo Side Dishes & Snacks | 1 comment
Alternative version: If you like your dips with a bit of heat, roast some fresh hot chilli and blend it with the beetroot!
When preparing this recipe, it’s probably a good idea to use gloves, and handle the beetroot in the sink – as otherwise you’ll end up with a mighty mess!
Paleo Beetroot Dip Ingredients:
- 2 medium to large beetroots, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 1/2 french shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder*
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- (1/2 hot chilli, halved long ways)
(* If you don’t have garam masala, you can replace it with 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon & 1/8 teaspoon paprika)
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Place a piece of al foil (long enough to wrap your ingredients in, so probably a bit longer than a roasting dish) on the table ready for your beetroot.
- Cut the stems off and scrub the beets carefully to remove dirt and most of the skin. Cut beetroot into chunks and place on the piece of foil.
- Peel shallot and garlic, cut into chunks and place on the beetroot. (If you want your dip to have a bit of heat to it, cut a hot chilli in half long ways and add in.)
- Season with salt & pepper, drizzle with olive oil and squeeze on a bit of lemon juice.
- Wrap the foil carefully into a long parcel, place parcel in a roasting dish and roast until done (roughly 90 mins, check with a fork).
- When the beetroot is roasted soft, blend the ingredients until smooth. (I used a wand mixer, but blender would work just as well.)
- Add in olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garam masala, paprika and blend together.
- Season with salt & pepper and adjust spices until right.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve cold!